[ RadSafe ] Radiation may (not) increase risk in BRCA positive women

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Mon Sep 10 09:25:23 CDT 2012

The article, which may be found at the website of the British Medical Journal, is an interesting read.  The principal questions I have involve – and perhaps one of the authors will care to comment –  the method used to avoid selection bias and statistical significance.  It seems entirely likely that the women in the study  - all BRCA positive -  who eventually developed a cancer would have been likely to have received more medical attention, hence more diagnostic x-rays, etc., so there is an inherent bias in the study group in that the eventuality of cancer may be related to the increased medical atention, rather than any causality.  The authors allude to correcting for this, but do not explain their rationale – this is a key point on principle.
Secondly,   this is a statistically noisy study.  50 of 57 odds ratios shown encompass unity, and even those that do not are pretty close.  The importance of statistical significance here should not be understated, as the headlines in the popular press most certainly do.
While it would be an important finding if such a subgroup as this really has a unique susceptibility to radiation, this paper does not make the case to conclude this, in  my view; and is in contrast to similar studies as the authors correctly note.
Bradly D. Keck, Ph.D., CHP