[ RadSafe ] Pregnancy Discrimination In The WorkplaceTargetOfNewEEOC Crackdown

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sun Sep 30 15:08:53 CDT 2012

Dear Roy,
Thank you for your thoughtful mail, which confirms for me, that there are quite a few people at RADSAFE who "look behind the curtain" (literallily translated from a German proverb).

I cannot tell you about the impact on US female workers, being exposed to ionizing radiation, but let me tell you about the situation in Austria, which I suppose is valid for everywhere in Europe.

Any woman is legally obliged to notify the employer of a pregnancy. Then she is protected from being fired for a long time even after delivery. There is a long time when she will receive (possibly reduced) payment. Sorry, I do not know the exact data, it is more than 30 years since my last child was born.
As to female Radiation Workers: According to the Austrian Radiation Protection Law, a pregnant "Radiation Worker" is not allowed to continue work at the same place, but she has to be transferred to a working place without radiation exposure within the same facility and - as mentioned above - without any decrease of income. I am not really well informed, but similar legislation seem to apply to most, if not all European member states.
For us Europeans it is not understandable, why the US-Republicans are so fiercely against "Obama-Care". It works perfectly well in Europe. We pay a certain percentage of our income to a kind of fund and then we are insured to most common medical treatments,  injuries and even very complicated medical and surgical treatment. A few years ago I suffered  a coronary infarction, three stents were implanted (BTW: I agreed on radioactive ones!) and the final bill for me was a few Euros (dollars) for the stay at the hogen<ospital. Taxes seem to me to be relatively high (expressed in %), but it pays off in such cases like my coronary infarction. What is the advantage of paying a few cents less for bread, butter and sausage over paying thousands of dollars in the case of a life threatening medical emergency? It seems to be like the Austrian strategy on Radon reduction - the idea was not only to reduce the peaks, but parallel the average exposure.
Sensational articles in some papers or journals will not help at all to reduce exposure to employees and their progeny.

OK, this is my European opinion, which will be met by the fierce criticism of the US hardliners on RADSAFE. Never mind, I enjoy my social security, my high taxes on food, houses etc, which prevent me from being forced to work at age 68 at a McDonald for a few dollars a day.

Best wishes,

Franz