[ RadSafe ] outdoor low dose rate measurements

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Wed Apr 3 15:44:51 CDT 2013

It depends on the instrument of course but also on how large you expect
the elevated area to be and how fast the walk is.

I could easily discern this for narrow fields - "beams" < inch across -
with a pancake GM at  the "standard" 2 inches per minute - I routinely
have to determine < 0.05 with a background of ~0.015 when surveying a
large cabinet - 4'x4'x8'.

Much faster - NO WAY.

That would be a mighty slow walk.  A brisk walk is 4 mi/hr - ~70
inches/sec if I calculated correctly - so it would be an EXCEEDINGLY
SLOW walk - unless the elevated field covers a large area.

Using a larger area detector will of course increase the sensitivity -
but also the background.  Still the stats would be better.