[ RadSafe ] outdoor low dose rate measurements

KARAM, PHILIP ANDREW.KARAM at nypd.org
Thu Apr 4 10:22:25 CDT 2013

Depends on the meter and normal background rates. If you're using an air
ionization chamber I'd say this is not reasonable; with a PIC or a
microR meter it should work. Be careful with the detector, though -
there are meters that claim to measure down to a few microR/hr, but
their accuracy is nothing to write home about. With many of these (the
Thermo PRD is a prime example) you might be able to use them
qualitatively, but not necessarily quantitatively. I'd believe that you
can see and quantify this difference if you're using a PIC or a Bicron
microrem meter - I'd be dubious if you are using an energy-compensated
GM or an air ionization chamber. And as someone mentioned earlier,
survey speed makes a difference as well.

In addition, you need to remember that many detectors are
energy-dependent and that they over-respond to low-energy gammas. Many
microR meters, for example, use an NaI detector that's calibrated to
Cs-137. I participated in conducting a side-by-side comparison using a
1"x1", 2"x2" NaI, and a PIC on a thorium-contaminated site. The NaI
detectors routinely measured 1.5-2.5 times as high a dose rate as did
the PIC because of over-response to the large number of low-energy
photons emitted by Th-232 and decay series nuclides.

Andy

P. Andrew Karam, PhD, CHP
Director of Radiological Operations
NYPD Counterterrorism