[ RadSafe ] Flawed Test Questions.....Calling all teachers/profs

Joseph Shonka jjshonka at shonka.com
Tue Apr 9 07:40:55 CDT 2013

Jake

I think these are trying to be tricky questions that separate "thinkers"
from "reactors";)

While your interpretation is correct, the clue to the first question is in
the words "artificial" and "natural".  How can you have a "natural"
transmutation when bombarding a nucleus?  That has to be the trick.  The
correct answer has to be b, an artificial transmutation.  While I agree
with you that it could either be transmutation or fusion, the fusion
reaction was not included in the choices of answers.  I don't like the how
it is phrased any bettter than you, but you have to work with what you
have.  As for the second question, the only stable isotope of Cesium is
133.  Thus the person writing the question is asking what is the only
isotope in the listing of Cesium, the answer I expect is c, 13555Cs.

Good luck.  I agree these questions are not worded as well as they should
be, but I think the intent can be inferred from the answers provided.

Joe Shonka

--
Joseph J. Shonka, Ph.D.
Shonka Research Associates, Inc.

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly
notify Shonka Research Associates, Inc. at (770) 509-7606 and permanently
delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.