[ RadSafe ] [Radsafe] A new unit for radiation measurements

Thu Apr 11 11:15:43 CDT 2013

Then there is the Millie-gal, who can be converted to the My-gal by the process of going steady.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Dan McCarn
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:18 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] [Radsafe] A new unit for radiation measurements

Now you've gone and done it!  And there is a gravity to the situation that you've overlooked.  The milligal is already well defined!

The *gal*, sometimes called *galileo*, (symbol *Gal*) is a unit of acceleration <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration> used extensively in the science of gravimetry <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravimetry>.[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal_(unit)#cite_note-1>
[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal_(unit)#cite_note-SIbrochure-2>[3]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal_(unit)#cite_note-3>
The
gal is defined as 1 centimeter per second squared (1 cm/s2). The
*milligal* (mGal)
and *microgal* (µGal) refer respectively to one thousandth and one millionth of a gal.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd
Los Alamos, NM 87544-3425