[ RadSafe ] Tritium production in a nuke plant

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Sun Apr 21 13:36:00 CDT 2013

Radsafe,

     Hey All.  The Brookhaven National  Laboratory  HFBR was killed by poor
control of the water in the High  Flux Beam Reactor fuel storage pool.  Some
one or multiple persons continued  to pump water into a full
fuel storage pool for a long time.  The resulting tritium plume  happened.
It was not detected for a while.
As the result many people lost their jobs in a layoff, and the BNL
contractor went from Associated
Universities to Brookhaven Associates.  The HFBR was shut down  and we lost
an older, viable research reactor.

    Sure, in the grand dose scheme of things, tritium is  probably not that
big a deal, unless an internal dose situation happens.   However, tritium
is very mobile in the groundwater environment.  The law  says to be a good
neighbor and not allow too much tritium to go offsite.  When
dose/concentration limits are exceeded, the NRC, EPA, DOE etc. intercede.

    Have a good week.    Joe Preisig

In a message dated 4/17/2013 9:34:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,