[ RadSafe ] Scrubs, contamination and medical infections

Mon Apr 29 10:55:51 CDT 2013

Hi, Jeff.

With all due respect, I think there is an important rad-related point
here:  I do not believe scrubs are for "germ control", so much as to
provide cheep clothes that can be changed quickly if any of the assorted
bodily fluids people in a hospital are exposed to get on them.  Clearly
a loose weave cloth isn't going to be a barrier to, for example,
airborne microbes.

The analogy in rad is the anti-Cs that TV often describe as "radiation
protection suits".  They usually are pretty good for preventing
contamination from getting on you, but don't provide any protection from
radiation.  Of course, subtleties like that are beyond most of the
"action-nerd" TV programs and movies.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Jeff Terry
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:08 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Scrubs, contamination and medical infections

Germ control in hospitals is well outside  the subject of this list.

Please end this thread.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 28, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Emil <kerrembaev at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Radsafers,
>
> I was wondering for a while.
> Is it only me who feels strange when doctors and nurses are wearing
their scrubs in and out of medical facilities?
> I spent my share of time at Nuclear Power Plants wearing scrubs in and
out going out through contamination monitors. Some nanoCi of Co-60 could
be annoying if stuck on the scrub material.

> I never seen any contamination controls (or controls are even possible
with out changing clothing) in the hospitals when doctors and nurses in
scrubs come in from home or lunch. The whole hospital scrubs wearing
ritual is kind of charade to make everyone feel safe from the germs. And
germs brought INTO the hospital are not annoying as nanoCi of Co-60,
these germs are deadly in the radiation, chemo therapy recovery rooms. I
have friend of mine and her brother was treated for cancer and just died
from pneumonia...I am still wondering may be germs which attacked his
immune weak lungs came from the hospital lunch room on the scrub.

> It is kind of, if we would do reactor cavity decon and then with out
changing protective clothing go straight into cafeteria.

visit: http://health.phys.iit.edu