[ RadSafe ] Dinosaur Bones

Don Halter DHalter at usaenviro.com
Fri Aug 2 10:11:29 CDT 2013

Joe,
I never checked dinosaur bones, but I have quite a few other fossils, mainly petrified woods, that are radioactive. This is due to the mineralization, not the actual wood or bone. The mineralization incorporated uranium compounds from the surrounding ground into the fossil. In the petrified woods, this is usually a black colored oxide of uranium. These were from both South TX and Northwest NV and when measured on contact using a Bicron Micro-rem meter, can be up to 60-70 micro-rem/hr. About the same as a good vintage orange Fiestaware plate.  I also have some fossil bones (fossilized, but not petrified) from aquatic mammals that are also slightly radioactive. As with the petrified wood, these have mineral deposits infused into the bone. For comparison, I have some uranium mineral bearing rocks from Russia and Central/East Africa that are about half-fist size and are ~ 3-4 mR/hr on contact with a Ludlum 44-2.

Don