[ RadSafe ] formula and its derivation for rectangular extended radioactive sources exposure rate

Dixon, John E. (CDC/ONDIEH/NCEH) gyf7 at cdc.gov
Fri Aug 9 13:21:04 CDT 2013

Subhash,

I have looked at a few responses and I think the solution is easier than numeric integration. You could use a software program such as Grove Engineering's MicroShield. But in the absence of that try this:

X = dose rate in air from the source
G = Gamma ray constant (you pick the reference)
Ca = the areal concentration (activity per unit area)
R = the "radius" or diagonal distance of your rectangle
H = the distance from the source

If you determine the area of the rectangle and then find the diameter of the circle of equal area, then you could approximate the dose rate using the following:

X = π* G* Ca* ln {(R2 + H2)/H2}

Please note that the (2) is an exponent for each of these variables. The farther away you get from this source, the more closely the "rectangular dose" will be to the "circular dose."

Hope this helps.

John