[ RadSafe ] Neutron Generator regulations

Stroud - CDPHE, Ed ed.stroud at state.co.us
Tue Aug 27 15:37:07 CDT 2013

Hi Brian,
In Colorado, we have a company that manufactures both D-T and D-D
generators, as well as licensees that use them. And, in Colorado, we
require end users of both types of generators to possess a radioactive
materials license. Why? Because these devices can generate lethal levels of
neutron radiation, and both will "make" activation products as soon as you
turn them on. If you wish, I'd be happy to discuss the details.

Ed Stroud, Compliance Lead
Radioactive Materials Unit
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
303-692-3418