[ RadSafe ] RadSafe: invitation to violate scientific free speech rights at UNC

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Mon Dec 30 11:54:42 CST 2013

There are many accepted restrictions on free speech in the law. We cannot libel or slander, we cannot incite violence, we cannot impersonate cops, we cannot claim medical benefits for concoctions we develop in our basements, and so forth. However, there is no law that I know of for keeping people from making non-commercial idiotic statements that they believe to be true.

On the other hand, institutions are permitted to set their own rules for their employees. As a city government employee there are restrictions that on what I can say that might be taken to represent city policy, as well as what I can say when speaking as an city employee. Similarly, many businesses restrict what their employees can say in their capacity as a representative for that business or when they claim affiliation with that business - I wasn't allowed to close a business deal for the company I used to work for and I couldn't comment on company projects or clients without permission from my boss. And universities can restrict what their faculty and staff say when they are speaking as a university representative or when they claim university affiliation.

For example - I can say pretty much anything I want (with the exceptions noted in the first paragraph) if I am speaking as a private citizen. But when I was RSO at the University of Rochester or when I was a professor at Rochester Institute of Technology I had to clear it with my boss before I gave an interview with the media in which my position with the university was stated.

The bottom line is that organizations have the right to protect corporate information and to maintain their reputation - including limiting what their employees say that might reflect poorly on their organization. If the professor says "I am a radiation expert and I think that Fukushima is going to kill millions of people" the university can't do much. If he says "I am a professor at UNC and I say that Fukushima will kill millions of people" the university can take him to task for making UNC look like they employ a fear-mongering professor who clearly doesn't understand his field.