[ RadSafe ] Canadian Depleted Uranium Study Results Released

Thu Feb 21 12:13:57 CST 2013

Hi, Helmut.

Dust in the desert is, of course, always a problem and potential health
issue.  How much uranium in the dust contributes to the health risk is
probably impossible to quantify, but assume there is some.  Clearly,
natural uranium (NU) is at least as much of a health risk per mass unit
as DU is (and more, if radioactivity is driving the risk, as NU is more
radioactive per mass unit than DU).  So the introduction of DU into the
environment did not create a new risk, but merely increased it by some
amount.

Risk increase from DU is clearly not homogeneous across the entire
country of Iran (or other places DU was actually used).  The risk also
depends on how much of the DU burned, as solid chunks present mostly a
tripping hazard.  The greatest risk from burning DU was experienced by
the crews of the vehicles hit by DU penetrators, but what with the fact
they are in a burning tank, full of ammunition that is about to cook
off, and all sorts of fuels, lubricants, plastic, and other things
burning all around them, and the very real possibility that someone is
going to shoot at them some more when they bail out of their vehicle,
the long-term health risk of DU is something they aspire to worry about.

People poking about in a vehicle that was killed with a DU penetrator
probably can get exposed to some DU dust.  But with the various toxic
chemicals present, the high probability unexploded ordinance, and a lot
of pointy metal, DU probably isn't in the top five health risks.

People who are not within tens of meters form a vehicle that burnt out
long ago probably are at no more risk than people who live in a similar
desert that has never be been shot up with DU.