[ RadSafe ] News Items

Conklin, Al (DOH) Al.Conklin at DOH.WA.GOV
Wed Jan 30 13:06:29 CST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of
JPreisig at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:57 AM
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: [ RadSafe ] News Items

Dear Radsafe:

     Hope you all are well.  The following few  items are from Google
News, the Evening TV News (USA). etc. over the past few weeks.

    Within the last few weeks, the US government tested a  missile
defense system, with a missile launched via Vandenberg Air Force Base.
Apparently the intercept test  was a success.

    The North Koreans are threatening a Nuclear Weapons  test.  A while
ago, they also tested an ICBM
type of rocket, apparently to launch a satellite into orbit.   According
US News etc. sources, the
launch was fairly successful, but I heard the satellite deployment was
not quite successful.  They right now are probably working to improve
their launch vehicle, guidance systems,  Kalman Filters etc.
Count on it.

    What's next??? Hopefully peaceful negotiations are going  on with
all Nations involved.  I suspect, on the low estimate end, that North
Korea has one to five nuclear warheads available for launching via an
ICBM-type rocket.  I suspect they have multiple such Missiles
available.
If I lived in Alaska,
Hawaii, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Salt
Lake  City, etc. or on a west coast military base, I'd be a bit worried
right now.  I have no idea  what the North Korean's Missile launch range
is.  1000 miles???, 2000 miles??? and so on.  I hope the  USA defense
missiles are ready to intercept an incoming ICBM.  I believe a
pre-emptive air-strike on the Korean launch facility would be a distinct
possibility.

    Of course, the USA would be able to counter-fire with  ICBM's, and
Cruise Missiles and Guided Rockets from Submarines and various floating
Navy Ships.  10 to 100  such missiles/rockets (with nuclear weapons
aboard) could well level most North Korean  cities.
The North Korean
leadership should take note of this.  This is not a kinder and gentler
scenario.

    I wonder what time it is right now on the Clock of the  Bulletin of
Atomic Scientists???

    On a related note, there are rumors on Google News of an  attempt by
somebody to destroy one of Iran's Underground Nuclear Enrichment
facilities.  I don't know what  the truth is.

    Hope your work week is going well.

    Regards,   Joe Preisig

   .   .