[ RadSafe ] A Little Help Please

Victor Anderson victor.anderson at frontier.com
Wed Jan 30 18:15:21 CST 2013

Good Afternoon,

Now I have a new hobby.  In any case, I have been doing some research and
reading some articles by TD Luckey.  What I have been looking for are
numerical values that can be used to start a conversation about new
radiation safety standards.  Dr. Luckey talks about a zero effects
population (ZEP) level of 10 cGy/y.  However, in an article "Radiation
Hormesis Overview" in RSO Magazine (vol 8 number 4) he goes on to make a
recommendation of 30 times the background level of 2 mGy/y with a lifetime
limit of 5 cGy for the nuclear industry.  This would imply a limit of 60
mGy/y with a lifetime cap of 5 cGy.  Now background varies and so "30 times
background" could result in a range of values.  Not good when crafting a
radiation safety standard.

So, some more questions (there may be more):

1) If 10 cGy/y is adopted, how does this translate for all radiations.
2) I haven't reviewed Otto Rabbe's work yet, however, what about dose from
internally deposited radioactive materials?
3) Is ZEP tissue/organ sensitive?  For example, is the lens of the eye
more/less sensitive than the whole body?
4) It appears that below 10 cGy/y, there is no reason to be concerned about
mixed effects.  That is some areas, where is there a deleterious dose effect
while still having an overall hormesis?
5) Is 10 cGy/y really the appropriate standard?  Would 5 cGy/y be more
prudent? (Note:  60 mGy/y = 6 cGy/y)

I'll go back to occupying my time with more reading.  All ideas and comments
are welcome.

Victor