[ RadSafe ] Reactor stuff

Tue Jul 2 12:32:46 CDT 2013

While I am a fan of modular reactors for a number of applications, I am
not at all in favor of providing them to most African nations.  High
tech, capital intensive, centralized power is not appropriate for most
of the continent.

Although Africa has a wide range of environments, much of it receives a
lot of sunlight.  Solar-thermal and small-scale photovoltaic would be
more useful to the populace, and less vulnerable to disruption than
centralized power systems.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Dimiter Popoff
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:39 AM
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Reactor stuff

Small scale power source diversity certainly looks attractive,
especially if one has postcatastrophic nightmares. Which most of us
probably have - for example, I did not think I had any but recently I
began considering - almost seriously - the idea for autonomous power for
a small house. Not that we have many blackouts or something....

I was (I suppose I still am) thinking of a steam engine, something like
10-20kW. Would burn anything, not too noisy.

One thought lead to another so here is a question:

Would it be feasible to boil the water for it using some plutonium (or
whatever) thing, sort of like those used with Peltier conversion on
satellites?
(I am really illiterate on that, I just know how to measure spectra when
it comes to "radiation"). Now clearly nobody would let me have my
plutonium thingie in my yard, that much I do know :-).
So until the catastrophy takes effect I will run the steam engine on
wood, cole, oil... after that we'll see :D .

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

>From: "Olsson Mattias :MSO" <mso at forsmark.vattenfall.se>
>To: "The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing
List"
>	<radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>
>Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 11:09:40 +0000
>
>Hi all,
>
>Just curious: have they built one of these modular reactors yet? Even
>as a = prototype? That would make some interesting reading.
>
>Mattias Olsson

List'