[ RadSafe ] formula and its derivation for rectangular extendedradioa...

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Sat Jul 13 01:00:56 CDT 2013

Mike Brennan/Radsafe:

      That's an interesting idea.

      MCNP modeling shouldn't take a week, if one  already has MCNP on a
PC.  And PC's these days are
so very powerful.  Problem setup for a rectangular source should take
about one day, and a first MCNP
run should take 4 to 8 hours or less.  Perhaps then, one can directly
compare these Monte Carlo results with your measurements.

     In the olden days, I sure would like to have come  up with an analytic
and/or numerical solution.  Solving problems this way  forces one to
seriously understand the problem.  The book on Mathematical  Physics by Arfken
might be real helpful for getting an analytical or numerical  solution.  The
book Numerical Recipes by
Press, Teukolsky et al. has many different numerical solution algorithms,
complete with Fortran or C
computer code.

    Pick a solution method or two and get cranking.   You can't use MCNP on
the CHP exam!!!!

    Joe Preisig

In a message dated 7/12/2013 5:05:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,