[ RadSafe ] formula and its derivation for rectangular extendedradioa...

Nick Tsurikov nick.tsurikov at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 01:41:12 CDT 2013

Dear all,
I don't know if this is asked for exactly, but I use a very simple equation
to estimate doses from containers full of minerals. All one needs is the
surface dose rate - which is better to be measured (but can, of course be
estimated as well).  It goes like that:

EDR = EDRsurface × [1 – d/(d2 + A × B/3.14)0.5]

All in meters: d – distance to the source, A – height, B – width.
Seems to work rather nicely when the surface dose rate is above 5-6
microSv/hour, and takes about a minute or less to estimate.  But I honestly
have no recollection by now where did I get it from...  If anyone has a
reference to this - I'll very much appreciate it.
Kind regards
Nick