[ RadSafe ] Need advice Moving large Pb shield

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Tue Mar 5 12:51:37 CST 2013

Radsafe/Rob Gunter,

     What a cool problem.  Professional Riggers  are probably the right way
to go.  They'll do the job in a day.
If you all decide to do the job yourself, the pallet lifters are pretty
cool.  Make sure everyone wears their steel toe boots the day of the  move.

    Unloading and re-assembling the shield may also be  another way to go.
You're doing the move with the source in place???   Let's be careful out
there.

    I've seen Riggers move lathes and other machine tools  around by
rolling them around on solid metal cylindrical rods.  The trick  is getting the
shield up onto that first rod using a crane, crowbars, many
strong people etc.  Then you kind of roll the shield on the rods until  you
get the shield to where you want it to go.  You may need 3 or 4 or 5  such
rods.  Roll the shield slowly.  Don't develop linear  momentum.
Eventually you'll have to get the shield down off the rods.  Again be
careful.

   Riggers do this stuff everyday.  I once saw a rigger dude  pick up a
jackhammer, put it to his shoulder
and drill through a vertical concrete wall.  Amazing.

   Which philosopher said "Give me a lever, and I will move the
Earth!!!"???

   Good Luck.  Hire a good Rigger.

   Joe Preisig

In a message dated 3/5/2013 12:01:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,