[ RadSafe ] Teller and Climate change

Tue Mar 5 16:06:42 CST 2013

Hi, Victor.

Reprocessing of SNF is clearly the way to go.  I am quite fine with letting it sit for a long time before reprocessing, as letting the fission fragments decay to almost nothing makes the process much, much easier (we have Hanford in our state; a monument to the downside of being in a hurry to separate plutonium and uranium out of irradiated fuel).  I am in favor of a few centralized interim storage sites, rather than storage at each reactor, but I am not overly worked up about it either way.

I don't anticipate nuclear transmutation of radioactive waste to ever be viable energy-wise, and I don't think it is necessary.  It is not overly difficult to stabilize waste for disposal without leakage (though it is, unfortunately, all too easy to screw it up and have the contamination leak).  For the really annoying stuff, the Waste Isolation Project is a fine place to get rid of it.

I agree that planting plants, particularly trees, particularly trees with very long lifetimes, is a constructive thing to do, whether you are concerned about carbon or not.  Trees make a lot of things better (conversely, I also believe we should be planting LOTS of bamboo and hemp, in ways that can be watered with nitrogen rich waste water, and using those plants for our fiber needs, rather than trees).  Asking for fuels with less carbon is indeed silly, but asking for more effective use of the fuels we burn (or energy produced any other way) is not.  If people stop worrying about CO2 and instead strive to get "the most bang for the buck" CO2 production will likely decrease, or increase more slowly.

Hydrogen as a fuel is dumb.  The advantages are small, the disadvantages large, and the current most used means of production releases large amounts of CO2, so it doesn't even address the problem it is supposed to.  As a portable energy source, liquefied nitrogen (which release energy by evaporating, rather than burning) beats H2 hollow.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Victor Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:59 AM
To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) MailingList'
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Teller and Climate change

Hi, Mike,

First thank you for some interesting comments.  We seem to be saying the same thing about Yucca Mountain for somewhat different reasons.  My opinion is that fuel reprocessing is the way to go.  Nuclear transmutation of radioactive waste is the answer to the radioactive waste problem.

About climate change.  I still have not heard a good answer to my observation about past levels of CO2 and direct contribution of CO2 by industry, cars, etc.  The mania of reducing CO2 emission levels does not address the real problem.  You have stated the solution partially.
Elementary school science teaches us that plants absorb CO2 and give off oxygen.  Deforestation is a large part of the issue.  The solution is to plant more flora such as trees.  This is not the simplistic solution that plays well in the press.  I have read downright silly editorials calling for the reduction of carbon in gasoline and diesel fuel.  Hello, have these idiots forgotten basic chemistry?  Reduction of harmful emissions from the use of fossil fuels is not the same as reduction of CO2.  For those who really want to go to a carbon free fuel cycle, then burn hydrogen in your car.  Fact is that all internal combustion engines can run on hydrogen gas.
Its a matter of the fuel to air ratio.  There are two problems with using hydrogen.  The first is that it is currently expensive to produce hydrogen and second is the storage issue.  Once those two engineering problems are solved, then any IC engine can run on hydrogen and the oxygen in the air.
Fuel cells while interesting are unnecessary.

Now, about all those nasty storms and whatnot.  The Earth is a violent place.  Sadly, people can and will die as result of bad weather.  The human race needs to learn to deal.  The current changes may or may not be human induced.  Personally, I think climate changes outside "normal" are a combination of natural causes (think solar cycles for one) and human factors such as deforestation.  We can to some extent make some changes to mitigate weather and such.  However, humans must learn to cope with bad weather.
Sorry, but the world is not a safe place.  BTW what is the increased radiation dose due to CO2 on a PPM basis?

Victor