[ RadSafe ] Skyshine measurements

Scott Kirk skirk at VALHI.NET
Wed Mar 6 12:06:40 CST 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com [mailto:JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 09:46 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List <radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Skyshine measurements

As a first approximation it doesn't seem like it should be a large effect.
 The N-16 gammas scatter off electrons so the density of electrons is what
matters.  Clouds have small water droplets which have a higher electron
density than air.  But, is there enough water in the clouds to make a real
difference? (I don't have a clue on this one.  Perhaps a meteorologist
could calculate the difference in electron density to see if it makes
enough difference to matter).   Also it depends on the height of the cloud
cover.  If the clouds are at 1000 meters it might affect the skyshine.  If
the clouds are at 10,000 meters, it probably won't.   Calculating the
effect of various cloud covers would be a good master's thesis

Anybody else have any ideas.

 --jmr

John Rich
312-269-3768