[ RadSafe ] Skyshine measurements

Thu Mar 7 12:33:39 CST 2013

Skyshine can be pretty tricky.  The geometry of the source is often
complex, and doesn't simplify into a point or a line very well.  If the
source is not well shielded on the sides direct radiation swamps
skyshine out to a fair distance, if it is well shielded you may well
have a region where the closer you get to the source, the weaker the rad
field.

I agree with Victor that taking the measurement is better than modeling.
If you rely too heavily on modeling you are likely to fall into the
"Assume the elephant is a sphere..." trap.  Measuring to show compliance
shouldn't be too hard.  Measuring to characterize under a variety of
conditions isn't too hard conceptually; it just requires a lot more
money than most managements are going to want to spend.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Victor
Anderson
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:58 PM
To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics)
MailingList'
Cc: JPreisig at aol.com
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Skyshine measurements

Good Evening,

This is indeed interesting. Perhaps Ted could share some of his results.
With a BWR, skyshine is a more straight forward issue.  The major
radiation source is N-14 in the steam as it travels through the turbine.
While working at Peach Bottom I had the opportunity to measure dose
rates in the turbine building alongside the turbines at full power.  As
I recall dose rates were about 1 rem/hr at roughly 2 to 3 meters from
the turbine surface.
Skyshine is a function of what lies directly over the turbines.  Most
plants will have a thin steel roof over the turbine deck.  This has more
to do with the weather than anything else.  After the N-16 photons
radiate into the air above the turbine roof, they are subject to
scatter.  As someone has pointed out moisture in the air, air density,
etc will determine scattering of the
N-16 photons.  If the turbine building is subject to low lying fog, then
the fog could act as thin shield.  A low cloud bank will increase the
scattering.  How much is an interesting question.  For those of you with
a masochistic streak, the calculation can be done using a good monte
carlo code such as MCNP 2.7.0.  In my opinion, the best method is to
make measurements.  The good news is that you only have to measure the
scattered
N-16 gammas.  The bad news is that dose rates are very low.  The trick
of using 1 inch (2.54 cm) by 12 inch (30.48 cm) compensated GM tubes is
intriguing.  One big question is how sensitive these detectors are.  At
the site boundaries, the best method is to take integrated doses over
long periods of time (e.g., months).  One problem that our Swedish
friend has is this requirement to take measurements at 120% of power and
with low laying clouds.  The low laying cloud issue is a problem simply
because clouds will not stay low, maintain the same composition, or even
keep the same altitude.
What will be required is a good weather data base. Even then, it will be
hard to determine what part of the measured rates are due to low laying
clouds.  One technique could be to measure closer to the turbine
building where measurable readings can be made.  With some luck, the
influence of low laying clouds may be seen.  In my opinion, ultimately
what counts is the annual rates at the site boundary.  As long as
measurements show that annual dose rates are well within regulatory
limits, the plant has met standards.

Victor