[ RadSafe ] Offsite Dose Calculation Manual & Reg. Guide 1.109

Victor Anderson victor.anderson at frontier.com
Fri Mar 8 12:44:14 CST 2013

John,

I've done some further research.  The requirement to maintain records to
demonstrate compliance with doses to the public (both internal and external)
is in 10CFR20.1302.  Remember that the regulatory guides are just that
guides.  The only way that a guide becomes a requirement is if the licensee
commits to that particular regulatory guide in the licensing documents.
Unless the NRC specifically grants an exemption, that does not get the
licensee out having to maintain records of doses due to alpha emitters.
Reports of such records should be complete.  For example, annual reports of
releases.  This is where it gets tricky.  Let us assume for arguments sake,
that while measured for, there were no detected releases of alpha emitters.
The first question is what commitments were made by the licensee in
licensing documents, technical specifications, and the ODCM?  Did the NRC
specifically exempt reports of alpha emitters? (Not likely, but one never
knows).  The safest thing to do is report the minimum sensitivity of all
radionuclides measured and calculate doses as being less than or equal
appropriately.  For those radionuclides that you have positive results,
calculate the radiation doses.  Add them all up (detects and non-detects)
(alpha emitters included) and you should be able to demonstrate compliance
with dose limits for the public. The only way that you should not report
alpha emitters is if your facility does not have alpha emitters and
therefore cannot release them or the NRC has given a specific exemption for
not reporting alpha emitters.  To look into this thing further, I would need
copies of the offsite dose calculation manual, license, tech specs, etc.
The facility would also need to hire me at my usual rates as this problem is
going take more than an hour or two.  If interested, please e-mail me at
victor.anderson at frontier.com.

Victor