[ RadSafe ] What's Killing The Nuclear Industry?

William Lipton doctorbill34 at gmail.com
Mon May 20 21:08:46 CDT 2013

Jerry,

You are indeed fortunate to have worked exclusively with trustworthy,
conscientious, and competent people.  I wasn't as fortunate.

To answer your question:  "So, who were these people in nuclear power
production who were unconcerned and/or indifferent toward safety and
therefore untrustworthy."

Let's see:

The people at TEPCO who decided that placing the emergency generators for
Fukushima where they could be flooded was "good enough."

The designers at Chernobyl and similar plants who decided that no
containment and a positive reactivity coefficient was "good enough."

The management at Davis Besse who decided that postponing inspecting the
reactor vessel head for boric acid damage was "good enough," and those at
the NRC who went along with it.

The management of the Zimmer construction who decided that Quality
Assurance was a nuisance and that meeting production schedules was more
important than quality.  The plant would be "good enough."  In fact, it was
unlicenseable.

The maintenance people at Browns Ferry who decided that the best way to
test flammable sealant was with a candle.  They were aided by the engineers
and construction people who thought, (or probably didn't think about it)
that routing redundant safety cables thru the same cable tray was "good
enough."

This is just a start.  I'm not saying these people were evil.  I'm sure
that they made these decisions in good faith.  Unfortunately, it's not
"good enough."

Bill Lipton
It's not about dose, it's about trust.