[ RadSafe ] Neutron Generator regulations

Cueva, Louie louie.cueva at boeing.com
Tue Sep 3 11:22:33 CDT 2013

We have a D-T neutron generator that straddles all our programs in terms of our regulatory work.  We list the NG on our x-ray registration list, the tritium contained in the head and the target are managed as licensed RAM, and the equip is classified as a "particle accelerator" in Washington regulation.  Essentially the safety system and room design are mostly out of the accelerator regs, but we threw in some borated concrete and leak testing into the mix for some flair.  Occasionally when the head has to go in for servicing we have to drain the chiller water which has some minimal (but definitely measurable) amounts of tritium contamination.

-Louie