[ RadSafe ] Medical incident (Bill Lipton)

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 01:29:25 CDT 2013

As a non-USA list member, the thing that surprises me is the apparent disparity in punishment for medical misadministraion compared to portable nuclear gauge incidents. Relatively unskilled technicians working in poor, dangerous conditions on construction sites can (and do) loose their jobs through "loosing control" of a guage for maybe only a couple of minutes with the only result a damaged gauge. Medical staff seem to face little punishment for gross errors made in a clean, low pressure environment. Don't get me wrong, I  don't think either extreme is correct, but it looks to me that some equality should apply.
I also find it mildly amusing that a medical misadministration of tens of millirads is "insignificant" in relation to the intended dose, but a fraction of that is a serious incident in a lab / power / insustrial context.

Robert Atkinson CEng.