[ RadSafe ] Radon Progeny affinity for Iron Oxide (rust)

Conway, Ken C kcconway at babcock.com
Thu Sep 12 14:40:12 CDT 2013

Long Lived alpha  activity from natural  sources on metals et al is credible. Outdoor metals are exposed to rainfall.    Radon Daughter Pb 210  (~ 22year t 1/2)  strikes and remains on metal. Alpha is detected from its alpha emitting and much shorter lived daughter Po .  Long lived alpha  on  exposed metals  from natural sources  is entirely credible. A classic example is a rail car or roof ducting.