[ RadSafe ] Radiation testing in California.

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Mon Sep 30 14:36:54 CDT 2013

Max,

Others have mentioned the likely source of your counts (natural
radioactivity) and the pitfalls of trying to do low-level counts with a
GM meter.

As an exercise, you might want to try plotting the counts you get versus
the amount of potassium contained in your sample. e.g. raw Kale with
water removed should have ~32 mg K per gram of dried kale
Here's a USDA database on nutritional content of foods:
http://j.mp/GztTSJ

You could even create a very basic calibration standard by using a
weighed sample of No-Salt (potassium chloride) -- divide the mass of the
No-Salt sample by 2 to get the rough mass of K

A quick browse of the nutritional info doesn't seems to match your
observations very well -- dried Yellowtail looks like it should have a
bit more potassium/g than catfish.

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a good database of the other
natural radioactive isotopes that are found in foodstuffs.

---
Cary Renquist
cary.renquist at ezag.com