[ RadSafe ] Radon progeny in CNG vehicles gas tanks

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Wed Apr 16 18:47:18 CDT 2014

This is coming up a lot today!

When you capture the radon with the hydrocarbons, you are capturing principally Rn-222 and perhaps some parent radium as well.  Rn-222 has a 3.8 day half life and has many daughters - many of which contribute some gamma emissions thus are in part responsible for the excitation of the radiation monitors now common at landfills and recyclers.  When you look at the gamma spectrum of such a mix, the most prominent emissions are those of Bi-214 and Pb-214.   Presuming that radium is also captured in the gas, the decay of the 226Ra will be next if equilibrium has been achieved - which would be true I suppose in propane other than that very freshly isolated.  These are part of the 238U natural decay series and you see these gamma lines often as part of the natural background in  most any gamma detector.

I do not know how much 226Ra is captured with the fuel, but there  must be some, otherwise the radon would fairly quickly decay out along with the progeny.   Does anybody know how much radium is captured in hydrocarbons of interest?

Bradly D. Keck, PhD, CHP

Sent from my iPad