[ RadSafe ] EPA to make radiation standards more protective? Comments already submitted - add yours!

Neil Keeney gneilkeeney at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 21:35:06 CDT 2014

Thanks Mark:

I think content of the links you provided were exceptionally well
described. In particular, the excerpts and citations provided by the
Kennecott synopsis seem to support a very good case for  hormesis.

The initiative behind resurrection of this proposed rule-making would seem
to be an effort led by one or, at best, a couple of individuals in a policy
area rather than a scientific viewpoint from the agency as whole...

I continue to puzzle over what actual problem is resolved by the proposed
regulatory limits other than a compulsion to adhere to the precepts and
presumptions of LNT dose.

As you and others have pointed out over time and as has been repeatedly
demonstrated across the domain of biological insults in general, there is
an apparent pro-survival response to and effect from biological insults
delivered at low levels or concentrations.  This example concerns the
classic - bacterial growth versus penicillin concentrations...
(http://tinyurl.com/pdqpwnq).

These observations were stated to have been cited, ironically enough, by
the some of the earliest radiological researchers, (the Curies) in their
descriptions concerning anaphylaxis .  Recall also that Charles Richet was
awarded the Nobel Prize (*in 1913!)* for his work in this specific area.
Radiation exposure, at low levels, is biologically stimulative and, by all
appearances, enhances organismal pro-survival qualities...

Neil Keeney