[ RadSafe ] Nuclear Power in Utah?

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 12:41:40 CDT 2014

Joe - The maximum likely ground acceleration (Vertical, Horizontal, Shear,
Raleigh & Love) as the Peak Ground Acceleration define the safety
characteristics of a site. If you are hundreds of kilometers away from a
quake, the ground acceleration is significantly reduced since the energy
disperses radially. The ground acceleration from the earthquake (9.0) at
Fukushima did not exceed design specification. The tsunamis caused by that
earthquake did exceed the design. I don't think we are going to have
tsunamis on the Colorado Plateau.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_ground_acceleration

QUOTE The peak horizontal acceleration (PHA) is the most commonly used type
of ground acceleration in engineering applications, and is used to set
building codes and design hazard risks. In an earthquake, damage to
buildings and infrastructure is related more closely to ground motion,
rather than the magnitude of the earthquake. UNQUOTE

So your analogy is moot. No one will build next to or on top of the Wasatch
Range on the edge of the Colorado Plateau.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd
Los Alamos, NM 87544-3425