[ RadSafe ] publications-

Perle, Sandy sperle at mirion.com
Mon Feb 10 13:42:59 CST 2014

Disheartening at best!

Regards,

Sandy

-----------------------------------
Sander C. Perle
President
Mirion Technologies
Dosimetry Services Division
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

+1 (949) 296-2306 (Office)
+1 (949) 296-1130 (Fax)

Mirion Technologies: http://www.mirion.com/
”Protecting people, property and the environment”

From: <Milligan>, Patricia <Patricia.Milligan at nrc.gov<mailto:Patricia.Milligan at nrc.gov>>
Date: Monday, February 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM
To: "radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu<mailto:radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>" <radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu<mailto:radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>>
Subject: [ RadSafe ] publications-

Since reading this article, I have cast a skeptical gaze on "published results" of any sort.  I was rather distressed by this author's report but at least it explained how so many papers of questionable quality and premise were getting published.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/342/6154/60.full

"Acceptance was the norm, not the exception. The paper was accepted by journals hosted by industry titans Sage and Elsevier. The paper was accepted by journals published by prestigious academic institutions such as Kobe University in Japan. It was accepted by scholarly society journals. It was even accepted by journals for which the paper's topic was utterly inappropriate, such as the Journal of Experimental & Clinical Assisted Reproduction"

Patricia A. Milligan, CHP, RPh
Senior Level Advisor for Preparedness and Response
Office of Nuclear Security and Incident Response
US Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Three White Flint North
MS 3WFN-09D-14
11601 Landsdown St.