[ RadSafe ] Is this the beginning of the end of the debate on low-dose radiation effects?

Lockhart, Dennis dlockhart at af.umaryland.edu
Wed Jul 9 14:52:34 CDT 2014

Otto,
Could you please send me a copy?

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Otto G. Raabe
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 12:59 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Is this the beginning of the end of the debate on low-dose radiation effects?

The important contrast is between a single instantaneous radiation exposure and protracted exposure over time.

A very small instantaneous exposure will have a meaninglessly small promotion effect on ongoing cancer advancement even if it is not zero.

In sharp contrast, a protracted exposure at low dose rates can interfere with ongoing "natural" cancer processes,

See my Figure 16 in Health Phys. 98:515-536; 2010 where I show a statistically significant reduction (zero cases) in bone sarcoma from Sr+Y-90 protracted radiation exposures for cumulative doses smaller than 10 Sv. This I call a life-span virtual threshold for radiation induced cancer.

If you do not have this paper I will send it to you

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140