[ RadSafe ] Is this the beginning of the end of the debate on low-dose radiation effects?

Doss, Mohan Mohan.Doss at fccc.edu
Wed Jul 9 20:37:15 CDT 2014

Dear Otto,
    There are examples of clinical trials where acute radiation dose of 10 cGy to the whole body given 15 times during 5 weeks resulted in systemic reduction of cancers, as seen in this publication http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/823140 , with the outcomes being as good as chemotherapy.  Higher doses, if given instead of 10 cGy per fraction, would undoubtedly raise the cancer risk. Similarly, second cancers (per kg of tissue) were lower for the regions of body having 20-50 cGy radiation dose in radiation therapy patients, whereas much higher doses resulted in increased second cancers as seen in Tubiana's paper http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21595074 .  The different parts of the body had radiation exposures with the same time characteristics, with low-dose resulting in cancer reduction (compared to zero dose) whereas high doses resulted in increased cancers.  Your model, since it does not have the opposite effects at low doses and high doses, would have a difficult time explaining these data.
   With best regards,
                                            Mohan