[ RadSafe ] Beta correction calculation

Smith, Lawrence E lsmit15 at entergy.com
Mon Jun 2 13:45:09 CDT 2014

The beta correction factor for the ion chambers that I use was determined years (decades?) ago using a slab of depleted uranium. The beta dose rate at a certain distance (I believe 2.5 cm) is a known level. The meter is then positioned on the slab for the closed window and the open window readings. The beta correction factor can then be determined.

For standard calibration of an ion chamber with a one point adjustment, calibration at the mid-scale reading (25 mr/hr on a 0 - 50 mr/hr scale) should show readings that are within 10% of the readings for the 20% and 80% readings.

Larry Smith

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: rad monitor calibration (Dennis Quinn)