[ RadSafe ] Retention of X-Ray Reports / Dosimetry records

Michael, Joey L joey-michael at uiowa.edu
Fri Jun 20 16:59:46 CDT 2014

Our licensing agency allows us to keep electronic records, as long as they can be accessed and audited.  Several years ago, a bunch of our dosimetry records were scanned to create a digital copy.  We also have disks from the dosimetry vendor that cover several years.  One thing with the old records is being aware of the file type.  As operating systems get updated, some file types no longer work (or at least not well).  Over the past year, we converted all of our various digital dosimetry records into .pdf files.  We store them on a secure drive that is backed up.

Most of our paper records have been shredded.  I usually keep one year of paper dosimetry records (monthly reports).  We are also keeping the last Form 5 for our participants.

I plan to keep the dosimetry records forever - in some form or another (required + good insurance).

We are required to keep X-ray surveys for 3 yrs, but check with your state.  Your regulations may be different from mine.