[ RadSafe ] University of Michigan News Service | Revolutionary nuclear radiation detector hits the market

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Thu Mar 13 13:23:30 CDT 2014

Thanks

That would certainly confirm my suspicion of low sensitivity and also
imply low resolution (as one could infer from the image in the first
article as well) - but I still don't see "pocket sized".

But find in minutes what took weeks???  I don't think so!  Any source
large enough for this to work could be found quickly.  Back in the day
we fashioned a "gamma telescope" - a GM or NaI detector in a thick Pb
Cylinder for a collimator to locate emission sources within a linac
THROUGH the shielding.  That worked well enough and quickly enough -
minutes to an hour NOT weeks - It was hardly "pocket sized" but ALMOST
"hand held" at least for a short time <grin>!!

Substitutes coincidence in a 3d array of very small detectors for the
traditional collimation approach to achieve an image.  Almost "reverse
ct" I'd say.