[ RadSafe ] Global Warming

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Fri May 30 13:40:53 CDT 2014

Hmmmmm,

     Sounds like the folks at Princeton Plasma Lab and  elsewhere better
get fusion working soon.

     Joe Preisig

In a message dated 5/30/2014 2:31:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org writes:

Not  really. According to government and industry documents, at current
levels of  use we have about:

Coal - 100-200 years
Oil - 40-50 years
Gas -  40-50 years

The assumptions are that we know how much of each of these  is  and that we
will continue using energy at the same rates. If energy  consumption
increases as it has been then things will run out more quickly. We  are less
likely to discover massive new coal deposits than we are to find new  oil or
natural gas deposits, and even large oil and gas deposits are not found  very
often anymore.

In addition, we should note that, when the first  source runs out, we will
start using the remaining sources more quickly. So if  we have, say, 200
years of coal remaining under current use conditions we  might have only 50-60
years left in actuality due to increasing coal burning  coupled with a
change to coal when oil runs out.

You are correct that  fission (especially if we start making thorium
reactors) can last much, much  longer.

Andy