[ RadSafe ] Danger of nuclear fuel storage at Columbia Generating Station

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:34:25 CST 2014

Dear Mark & Mike:

What Mike says is quite true, that the uranium resources are quite
extensive and head to head, SNF recycling can't directly compete against
fresh fuel from mined uranium. All that said, the cost of fuel is a quite
minor component of the overall cost of power generation in a nuclear power
plant compared to other energy sources, e.g. coal. Because of that, and the
benefits of recycling, it makes sense to keep the option open.

What doesn't make sense is that Yucca Mountain would also serve as
retrievable storage facility for as long as it is actively operated... And
there are other alternatives for long-term storage as Mike suggests.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd
Los Alamos, NM 87544-3425