[ RadSafe ] Interlock question

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 16:42:22 CDT 2014

Radsafe:

     Transistors, gate technology (nand, nor,....),  integrated circuits,
other digital circuitry, are explained in electronics books  such as Brophy,
Diefenderfer, Malmstadt and Enke and newer texts.  If you  are unfami
liar with this stuff read these books.  One should able to use such
circuits, or perhaps even computer software, for interlock design.  If you  are
uncomfortable with this technology, then do indeed use relays, switches and
so on.  I expect both sets of technology can be used to surpass failure
modes.  If there is some relevant technical standard, then try to keep to  the
standard.  At Brookhaven Lab, Health Physicists do health physics,  shielding
design and Electronics Engineers do interlock design.  Maybe some  HP's are
also EE's.  (i.e. Steve Musolino).

     My Dad, Joseph O. Preisig, was a EE who did vacuum  tubes,
transistors, color TV design, memory design, satellite work, night vision  goggle work,
semiconductors, COS/MOS, power supplies etc. for many years with  RCA and
Telefunken.  I, Joseph R. Preisig, do accelerator health physics,  neutron
spectrometry, Monte Carlo modeling, geophysics, seismology, Kalman  Filtering,
Electronics, NIM electronics, Fortran Programming and similar  things.

     If a standards committee is unwilling to deal with  someone, it may be
because someone is severely old school in electronics and is  unwilling to
accept some of the new technology.  If one is designing  interlocks to keep
people from irradiating their fingers/hands, eyes, etc. in  XRay machines,
then I hope/pray you are doing your job very well.

   A relatively unsupervised nuclear technican at Chernobyl  caused many
folks considerable hardship and pain.

   Joe Preisig

In a mesvevelylysage dated milar things10/30/2014 4:23:52 P.M. Eastern