[ RadSafe ] Interlock question

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Thu Oct 30 22:51:06 CDT 2014

Unfortunately many electrical engineers seem blissfully unaware of the
requirements and what constitutes and redundant failsafe interlock
design - you'd be amazed at the of the EE designs I've seen and one that
even cost a researcher 3 fingers.

Separation of disiplines would be great - unfortunately the HP gets
asked to approve a piece of equipment and one cannot rely one "the
engineer said so" but has to learn to do ones own analysis.

On 10/30/2014 2:42 PM, JPreisig at aol.com wrote:
> Radsafe:
>
>       Transistors, gate technology (nand, nor,....),  integrated circuits,
> other digital circuitry, are explained in electronics books  such as Brophy,
> Diefenderfer, Malmstadt and Enke and newer texts.  If you  are unfami
> liar with this stuff read these books.  One should able to use such
> circuits, or perhaps even computer software, for interlock design.  If you  are
> uncomfortable with this technology, then do indeed use relays, switches and
> so on.  I expect both sets of technology can be used to surpass failure
> modes.  If there is some relevant technical standard, then try to keep to  the
> standard.  At Brookhaven Lab, Health Physicists do health physics,  shielding
> design and Electronics Engineers do interlock design.  Maybe some  HP's are
> also EE's.  (i.e. Steve Musolino).
>
>       My Dad, Joseph O. Preisig, was a EE who did vacuum  tubes,
> transistors, color TV design, memory design, satellite work, night vision  goggle work,
> semiconductors, COS/MOS, power supplies etc. for many years with  RCA and
> Telefunken.  I, Joseph R. Preisig, do accelerator health physics,  neutron
> spectrometry, Monte Carlo modeling, geophysics, seismology, Kalman  Filtering,
> Electronics, NIM electronics, Fortran Programming and similar  things.
>
>       If a standards committee is unwilling to deal with  someone, it may be
> because someone is severely old school in electronics and is  unwilling to
> accept some of the new technology.

X-ray machine interlocks are a matter of technically sound/safe design -
not a current technology fashion statement!

>    If one is designing  interlocks to keep
> people from irradiating their fingers/hands, eyes, etc. in  XRay machines,
> then I hope/pray you are doing your job very well.

I do!