[ RadSafe ] Fwd: CTBTO.org: Polonium is also a common, natural radioisotope.

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Sun Aug 16 21:58:42 CDT 2015

Of course, the Christina MacPherson “headline” - "Nuclear bomb testing has resulted in radioactive polonium in seafoods” -  is non-sequitur.

210Po occurs naturally in the U-238 decay series and is ubiquitous in nature;  the presence of polonium simply does not indicate any man made activity at all in most cases.  In the cases where it might be introduced by human effort, the half-life is quite limiting from a geochemical perspective - as Franz points out below.

Polonium does sound dangerous though ( and of course it is if you have enough of it in a concentrated form, just ask Alexander Litvinenko ), and I am sure that people who want to provide a scare find polonium to be an excellent villain provided it can be assigned to bombs instead of good old mother nature.  In reality, of course, polonium exists pretty much anywhere uranium exists or radon can reach and is concentrated in a few species (tobacco probably being  the most important from a human exposure point of view).

Maybe the New Zealand seafood folks will put up a rebuttal down there in Wellington !

Bradly Keck