[ RadSafe ] Agreeing with Franz on "dogma"

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Thu Aug 20 12:47:54 CDT 2015

One of the problems is that "safe" is a qualitative term while "risk" is quantitative.

We can determine risk with some degree of precision (maybe not accuracy if our model is wrong, but very precise!) down to very low levels, we can discuss the assumptions and bases for our risk calculations, and so forth. And, if everybody agrees on these assumptions, then everyone will agree on the risk number. But there will still be disagreement over whether or not those numbers are "safe." For me, if the risk is lower than the risk from driving (about 1% over a lifetime) then I don't worry much. For others, a risk of one in a million is far too high. But, again, that's because "safe" is a subjective term.

Andy

P. Andrew Karam, PhD, CHP
NYPD Counterterrorism
One Police Plaza, Room 1109