[ RadSafe ] So, in terms of health physics, what goes on with a television?

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Fri Dec 18 14:39:50 CST 2015

It was always my understanding that the cathode ray tube (CRT) was the
source of potentially "interesting" radiation from the health physics
perspective.

The second anode was close to the screen and was connected via a
connector on the side of the CRT to the high voltage (HV) module. The HV
rectifier was usually shielded. I recall something like 25,000 volts as
the acceleration potential. Sparks would jump 3/8 of an inch or so. TV
service people used to have large HV probes that had a gigohm resistor
in series which was then shunted by the 10 or 11 megohm input impedance
of a then-typical vacuum-tube voltmeter (VTVM), providing a 100:1
reduction of the signal for ease of measurement.

The traditional oscilloscope (brought to a high art by Tektronix) used
the same principal, but I don't know the early history of the
co-development of the oscilloscope and the TV. Early in the literature
there were discussions of oscillographs rather than oscilloscopes. The
difference between the oscilloscope and the typical consumer TV is that
the oscilloscope uses electrostatic deflection inside the CRT while the
television uses a magnetic deflection yoke placed around the neck of the
CRT just where it widens out.

The safety issues, as I understand them from the perspective of a
curious technology oriented person involved in the television
broadcasting field professionally from 1974-2004 (and now doing audio
tape restoration professionally and supporting a bunch of computer
equipment to enable that business), were well addressed by the use of
leaded glass in the CRT envelope in televisions.

Wikipedia has two paragraphs in an extensive article that pertain to
this discussion. Some of it is out of date. The link to the CFR is
broken...but it's a starting point.

> Ionizing radiation  [from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube]
>
> CRTs can emit a small amount of X-ray radiation as a result of the
> electron beam's bombardment of the shadow mask/aperture grille and
> phosphors. The amount of radiation escaping the front of the monitor
> is widely considered not to be harmful. The Food and Drug
> Administration regulations in 21 C.F.R. 1020.10 are used to strictly
> limit, for instance, television receivers to 0.5 milliroentgens per
> hour (mR/h) (0.13 µC/(kg·h) or 36 pA/kg) at a distance of 5 cm (2 in)
> from any external surface; since 2007, most CRTs have emissions that
> fall well below this limit.[46]
> Toxicity
>
> Older color and monochrome CRTs may contain toxic substances, such as
> cadmium, in the phosphors.[47][48][49] The rear glass tube of modern
> CRTs may be made from leaded glass, which represent an environmental
> hazard if disposed of improperly.[50] By the time personal computers
> were produced, glass in the front panel (the viewable portion of the
> CRT) used barium rather than lead,[citation needed] though the rear of
> the CRT was still produced from leaded glass. Monochrome CRTs
> typically do not contain enough leaded glass to fail EPA TCLP tests.
> While the TCLP process grinds the glass into fine particles in order
> to expose them to weak acids to test for leachate, intact CRT glass
> does not leache (The lead is vitrified, contained inside the glass
> itself, similar to leaded glass crystalware).
>
> In October 2001, the United States Environmental Protection Agency
> created rules stating that CRTs must be brought to special recycling
> facilities. In November 2002, the EPA began fining companies that
> disposed of CRTs through landfills or incineration. Regulatory
> agencies, local and statewide, monitor the disposal of CRTs and other
> computer equipment.[51]
>
> In Europe, disposal of CRT televisions and monitors is covered by the
> WEEE Directive.[52]

I guess this is my once-a-year post to let you know I'm still alive and
not worrying too much about radiation.

Cheers,

Richard