[ RadSafe ] 10CFR20 question

jjshonka at shonka.com jjshonka at shonka.com
Wed Jan 21 18:04:27 CST 2015

Hi Gretchen

As a practical matter, the dose limits for whole body (5 rem) and extremity (50 rem) are an order of magnitude apart.  I used to start extremity monitoring when the ratio of the 1 inch dose and 12 inch dose (from the surface of whatever the source of radiation) was more than a factor of 3 different.  Of course, if it is a point-like source, added considerations of instrument response and handling tools is needed.

Joe Shonka

Sent from Windows Mail