[ RadSafe ] [EXTERNAL] Re: Fwd: Alleged rise in atmospheric ionising radiation

Wasiolek, Maryla mwasiol at sandia.gov
Thu Jun 4 13:28:35 CDT 2015

An additional consideration for the aeolian transport of the soil particles from the soils that have been fertilized using phosphate fertilizers is the enhancement factor. It the ratio of the activity concentration per unit mass in the fraction of soil particles that are subject to soil deflation (very fine particles) relative to the activity concentration in bulk surface soil [for uranium or radium or anything else that has been sorbed onto the soil particles]. Because the fine particles have a larger surface area per unit mass available for sorption than the coarser particles, the distribution of radioactivity on soil particles will be particle-size dependent. It is not a very strong effect, but nevertheless it may contribute to the preferential transport of sorbed radionuclides during soil deflation.

Maryla Wasiolek