[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Alleged rise in atmospheric ionising radiation

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:59:23 CDT 2015

Hi Chris:

Not brilliant - all geologists are on the high-end of the spectrum that
way! [?]

Please note that this is my unpublished hypothesis regarding the Piceance
Basin. The oil shale accumulated in a saline lake environment from very
large quantities of algae. Algae need, among other things, a bit of iron or
molybdenum to form a nitrogenase metalo-enzymes which contain iron,
molybdenum, or vanadium. for nitrogen fixation from the atmosphere. The
best way to obtain that is from wind-blown soils that have already
accumulated the material.

The second line of argument relates to mass-balance. The annual varves of
oil shale deposition amount to a fraction of a millimeter, about the amount
that could be introduced uniformly by dust in the form of platy clay-like
minerals formed in soils. These minerals can adsorb / desorb nutrients
along with other things like radium. I would expect the uranium to migrate
deeper in the soil column and not be subject to soil deflation (removal by
wind as dust). Thus there should be significant dis-equilibrium between
uranium and radium.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd