[ RadSafe ] Solar stuff

Thu Mar 19 13:11:48 CDT 2015

Hi, Joe.

I am a HUGE fan of solar energy in the appropriate place.  For example, there shouldn't be a flat roof in Southern California that isn't covered with solar energy systems.  Ditto Florida, much of Texas, all of Hawaii, and at least parts of other states.  It is good from an energy policy POV and a National Security POV.  I think that in many areas parking lots should be partially roofed over with structures that collect solar energy and rainwater, provide covered parking, and allow for much more efficient lighting.

Orbital Solar, on the other hand, has some huge problems that need to be solved.  The first is cost-to-orbit.  I haven't looked at what it costs to get to geosynch recently, but Low Earth Orbit is in the tens of thousands of dollars per kilo.  Orbital construction techniques are still pretty primitive, and I am pretty sure we want structures that are WAY too large for a single launch.  The tech that is really needed is a space elevator, which is not on the near horizon.

As for the accuracy of the beam; sure, it can be done, but there is a big difference between missing a reflector on the Moon, and thus putting a few extra photons on a piece of Moon surface, and missing the receiving antenna and putting a few megawatts on the nearby town.  Or someone intentionally taking control, and using it to destroy the power grid.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of JPreisig at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 10:55 AM
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Solar stuff

Radsafe/Mike,

     Good observations, Mike.  I like nuclear, but  will look at solar also.

     Don't need to transmit the solar energy all at  once, and can have multiple satellites.

     As for pinpoint accuracy, we currently do LLR  (Lunar Laser Ranging) to a retroreflector on the Moon (a few meters wide???) and  receive the return signal photons (20 photons???) with a microchannel  plate.  For more information on LLR, see Bogdan Maglich's Adventures in  Experimental Physics or Goddard Space Flight Center's Website or the  internet.

     Somebody is working on this solar transmission  stuff.  Of course, I like the controllability of Nuclear Power.

     Joe Preisig