[ RadSafe ] A simple, down to earth beta dose rate question

jjshonka at shonka.com jjshonka at shonka.com
Wed May 6 11:01:21 CDT 2015

Dear Mattias:

You could, in principle, calibrate with any nuclide, and provide correction factors for others.  This would be useful to understand the instrument response and provide guidance to the technicians or other users.  The instrument does fairly well for your nuclides.

At times, we have used a simple field beta shield to separate Sr90-Y90 from Cs-137 (Al from soda can wall attenuates Cs-137 by 50%).  This method can be extended to separate the nuclide mix in the field.

I have some concern about the thin sidewall of the Ion Sense (250 mg/cm2).  If you have hard beta, (such as Sr90) the thin sidewall of the Ion Sense would allow beta in during the “closed” measurement when the beta slide is closed.  I published a paper or two on this issue for the predecessor (RO-2).  This would have more of an impact for area sources rather than point sources.

Joe Shonka

Sent from Windows Mail