[ RadSafe ] Any comment on the latest paper in The BMJ

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 21:53:46 CST 2015

Friends,
I am happy to read your comments on the paper. We must send rapid responses to The BMJ, the way Mohan and Bobby Scot did. You may recall that The BMJ is a very well respected peer reviewed journal widely read by the public.Open criticism of the frailties of the paper will be very useful to generate discussion.I recall that a similar discussion in NATURE another popular journal led to substantial comments on the original paper.Immediately after publication such comments are also read by the readers
Not all epidemiological studies need have a control. If risk versus dose is proved the subjects themselves will be the controls.
"LNT" is only a convenient hypothesis.Issues of a robust threshold dose and a well  defined dose response curve in the region below 100 mSv are needed to resolve the low dose problem.Some diehard enthusiasts believe that the truth will emerge if the mechanistic intricacies at low dose levels are resolved. Low dose research funded by DOE did not help, though it revealed details of some of the cellular response mechanisms.
The big issue is whether the repair of radiation insult will be totally error free.
I would like to invite the attention of the group to a similar issue which was attracting the attention of researchers. It is a problem in physical sciences mercifully it does not involve the variability of biological phenomena.
Mercury is toxic.It is present in a few traditionally prepared Ayurvedic drugs.It became controversial because the Ayrvedic physicians assert that if mercury is added to drugs as prescribed in Ayurvedic "scriptures", mercury will be in such a form with minimum bioavailablity.It appears that in the final form every atom of mercury will form a compound with sulphur.Mercuric sulphide has extremely low bio-availability.The issue here is not the efficiency of the drug to cure!
How can we prove that each and every atom of mercury in the drug is converted into mercuric sulphide.Scientists in the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Bombay used synchrotron radiation to prove it. Based on the paper published in the Journal of Synchrotron Radiation I wrote an article on the issue.
The link: http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/why-rasasindura-is-not-toxic/article7619239.ece
Will it ever be possible to prove that the "microscopic", "nanoscopic" or "picoscopic" damage due to radiation insult in every cell in a lump of living tissue is fully repaired? Till that is understood cancer induction, hormesis etc at the lowest level will remain enigmatic mysteries
Warm regardsParthasarathy